Servers Crash every few days

Ovi ovi at unixservers.us
Wed Aug 22 11:49:05 PDT 2007

Kris Kennaway wrote:

>On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 09:06:50PM +0800, amin wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>I have six servers running FreeBSD 6.2 and all of them have the same config.
>>My servers are configured to run as a socks5 proxy server.
>>
>>Lately the servers are going down without any good reasons. How do I check
>>what are the errors or processes or the state of the server before it goes
>>down. All of them are running quite well without any reboots for the last
>>few weeks. My sysctl.conf is as follows:
>>

>You need to characterise "going down".  Is it panicking?  Is it
>rebooting?  Is it hanging?
>
>Consult the developers handbook for tips on how to obtain sufficient
>debugging information to identify and debug a panic or hang.
>
>Kris

I had the same issue, kernel panic and server reboot after "tuning" to
high sysctl variable (like maxsockbuf, but others too)
but having only 1 GB of RAM.

Another rebooting problem was caused by running tcpdump on high used router.

Other problem can be caused by hardware problems (I had those too).

I disabled once creation of coredump by kernel, and I had problem (with
6.2), when an userland app crash, the kernel panicked because of that.

Last, some userland apps. can cause kernel panic and reboot.

ovi