syslog redundancy

Eric Crist mnslinky at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 11:33:35 PDT 2007

On Aug 22, 2007, at 1:29 PMAug 22, 2007, Sean Murphy wrote:

> Can syslogd provide failover redundancy to another box?
>
> Should I configure my devices to send to two different syslogd
> servers? (if the devices allow more then one syslogd box to log
> to.  If not I would like to know if the first option is available.)

Sure, why not?  Try man syslog.conf, or read what's already within
your /etc/syslog.conf file.  You'd just have to set up a rule to send
off to another server, and configure that server to listen those
requests, of course.  We do this very thing for our public boxen so
that there's less worry with log tampering, etc.

HTH
-----
Eric F Crist
Secure Computing Networks