Building UNSTRIPPED binaries in ports?

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Tue Aug 21 11:23:27 PDT 2007

Hello,

I am encountering a bug with named-9.4.1-P1 that I am attempting to work
with ISC on, that I have built from ports (dns/bind94).  However, I need a
non-stripped version of the binary to get a backtrace.  I can't "roll my
own" binary because it may be related to some way that the port is built
so I need to maintain a similar build environment.

Is there some make.conf or compile time flag that I can set that would
prevent the stripping from happening?

Or would I just have to manually edit the makefile someplace -- and if so,
can anyone give a pointer as to where?  Setting the strip command to
/bin/true or something, perhaps -- but I can't be sure if the
strip_command is being used.

I've found references in the porter's handbook that state all binaries
should be stripped, but I think in cases like this it would be useful to
give the user a universal option to not do so.

-Dan

--

"Man, this is such a trip"

-Dan Mahoney, October 25, 1997