Minimal gateway hardware configuration

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Tue Aug 21 03:16:16 PDT 2007

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 01:32:28PM +0330, Bahman M. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to setup a small home network therefore I plan to buy an old
> (cheap) PC to act as the gateway. The hardware specification is
> CPU: Pentium II at 433MHz
> RAM: 128MB
> HDD: IDE 4GB
> LAN Card: D-Link 538FE

Note: You need two LAN cards:  One for the outside connection and one
to your internal network.  (You probably already know that, but since you
referred to 'LAN Card' in the singular I thought I should mention it
anyway.)

> Internet connection is a slow one below 512Kbps and there is only one
> other node than the gateway in the network.
>
> Is the configuration enough?

More than enough.

I use a Pentium I @ 133MHz w/ 64MB RAM as a gateway with a faster Internet
connection (8Mbps down / 1Mbps up) and it has no problem keeping up.

Earlier I had only 512 Kbps connection, and at that time used a 386sx @
33MHZ w/ 8MB RAM as gateway.  It had no problem handling that speed.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se