Hello!

Adam J Richardson fatman at crackmonkey.us
Mon Aug 20 13:08:46 PDT 2007

> Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:24:01 +0200
> From: Branko Vukelic <bg.branko at gmail.com>
> To: Adam J Richardson <fatman at crackmonkey.us>
 >
> If you allow me, a BSD noob, to take part... ;)
>
> I'd say FreeBSD is a wolf, and DesktopBSD is definitely a dog (as in
> domesticated wolf). By taming the wolf for desktop use (I'm not going
> into HOW that's possible) you get a system that is quite different
> (like an Alaskan Malaute), but still a dog, whereas DesktopBSD is
> still like a German Shepherd. I hope my approximation is about close?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaskan_malamute
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_shepherd
>
> As for other systems, yeah Windows is definitely a fish (if we're
> talking pets), and I don't find it prudent to mention Linux here. It's
> alien life form. :D

You forgot to CC the list, Branko. :)

[I wouldn't worry about noobishness. We're mostly noobs on this list
anyway. There are a few gurus lurking in the shadows. As long as you
show willingness to learn and don't expect others to do hold your hand
while you cross the road, no one minds.]

Regarding the pets analogy, I was sort of thinking we could stay on
Earth for now and leave aliens for weird future operating systems like
LCARS. Perhaps Linux could be a venus fly trap, or possibly a ferret? A
ferret would be good, since it's more like BSD than it is like Windows.
And it's also very curious.

Adam J Richardson