Trying to move /usr

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Mon Aug 20 12:45:30 PDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 12:08:06PM -0400, Michael S wrote:

> Jerry,
>
> *** When I untarred the file I had everything under
> /user/usr. I was under /user/usr and then I did mv *
> ..
>
> I then edited fstab and changed
> /dev/da2s1d to be /usr, instead of /user
>
> And of course the old /usr I switched to /user

Well, that sounds like the right way.
except that I would have done
   cd /
   mv /usr/usr /usr
That has worked for me in the past similar situations.

Since you say you have switched back - I presume by editing /etc/fstab -
have you checked the contents of /user which should be the new copy
of /usr to make sure it looks right - matches the old one pretty well?

////jerry