Gnome & FreeBSD I forgot

Predrag Punosevac punosevac at math.arizona.edu
Sun Aug 19 22:14:41 PDT 2007

Predrag Punosevac wrote:
> Michael S wrote:
>> Good day all,
>>
>> I decided to add GUI to my GUI-less FreeBSD machine. I
>> am  considering installing Gnome, which I haven't used
>> for long while and the last time was on Linux anyway.
>> The reason is that most of my favorite applications
>> use gtk libraries, like Firefox, GAIM (can't get used
>> to the new name),wxPython and others. In short I
>> wanted to avoid 2 huge sets of libraries (gtk and qt)
>> by not installing KDE.
>> I wanted to know how Gnome feels on FreeBSD, is it
>> polished enough? Are there crashes? Any caveats at
>> all?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Michael
>>
> I run Gnome 2.18 full version compiled from ports + fifth toe + gnome
> office +etc in another words everything.
> Computer is home made Intel Core 2 Duo E 4300 2x512 Kb RAM dual
> channel memory DDR2 667. The machine is our main home computer used by
> my wife and my mother in law (people with some Windows experience and
> no real knowledge to speak of). They find it easier to use than
> Windows machines they have at work.
>
> So far stability of Gnome is extraordinary. I have not observed any
> applications hanging except usual problems with licking of sound card.
> With little bit of configuration rc.conf, devfs.conf and fstab which I
> am more than happy to provide to you everything works out of box. All
> multimedia, printing, scanning, cameras, webcam, xchat, vnc works
> flawlessly with exception of sound recording (Skype) due to the fact
> that I am using OSS compiled from ports for my audio card and I am
> reading documentation how to set up mixer and recorder.
> I might also get another audio card because VoIP is very important to me.
>
> Computer fells faster then working on KDE (Original installation was
> PC-BSD) Also it feels significantly faster then my Ubuntu desktop at
> the University. I have to admit though that my machine at home has
> slightly better hardware.
>

> On another look, I do use OpenBox 3 with the help of  pypanel  and
> Rox-filler manager on one older machine. It feels faster than  any
> desktop I use at the University or at home so it is your choice. I
> really think that Gnome BSD team did grate job to bring FreeBSD to level
> grand ma users. On another hand for pure productivity I have to say
> that good WM is still probably better choice.

Oh,
I forgot to say in my last massage. The good compromise between Gnome
(KDE) full blown desktop and ***Box X window managers is
Xfce. Xfce is only about 15Mb vs Gnome(KDE)~200Mb.  I was first time
exposed to it by using FreeSBIE. It is slightly less responsive on
FreeSBIE than Fluxbox(700Kb) which one should expect but seems
remarkably fast for a full Desktop running from the LIVE CD.  Real
eye candy and it  has   everything you need as a default installation.
It is really very good.