"failed to create swap_zone" 6.2-STABLE SMP Kernel

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Sat Aug 18 23:23:39 PDT 2007

I note that this problem has appeared in the past and am wondering
if there is a resolution:

Running 6.2-STABLE on a machine that ran 4.11 flawlessly.  I am seeing the
message "failed to create swap_zone" right after the 2nd CPU gets
enabled on a Dell PowerEdge 1300.  The system blows out and reboots
therafter.  This same configuration works fine on a more modern Intel
MOBO with a Pentium D, so I'm guessing the problem is hardware dependent.
Booting a generic kernel works fine on the PowerEdge.

The source code is latest STABLE as of earlier today.

Has anyone else seen this and/or is there a workaround?

My exact kernel config is:

include SMP

options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPDIVERT

options         VESA

# System console options

options         SC_DISABLE_REBOOT       # disable reboot key sequence
options         SC_HISTORY_SIZE=200     # number of history buffer lines
options         SC_PIXEL_MODE           # add support for the raster text mode

# The following options will change the default colors of syscons.

options         SC_NORM_ATTR="(FG_GREEN|BG_BLACK)"
options         SC_NORM_REV_ATTR="(FG_YELLOW|BG_GREEN)"
options         SC_KERNEL_CONS_ATTR="(FG_RED|BG_BLACK)"
options         SC_KERNEL_CONS_REV_ATTR="(FG_BLACK|BG_RED)"

TIA,
Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com