problem with supfile

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Sat Aug 18 13:26:57 PDT 2007

Pollywog wrote:
> On Saturday 18 August 2007 19:47:21 Manolis Kiagias wrote:
>
>> Pollywog wrote:
>>
>>> Someone please tell me why my supfile is not working.  I think the
>>> problem is the tag but I am unsure why:
>>>
>>> *default host=cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
>>> *default base=/var/db
>>> *default prefix=/usr
>>> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6_2
>>> *default delete use-rel-suffix
>>>
>>> # If you seem to be limited by CPU rather than network or disk bandwidth,
>>> try # commenting out the following line.  (Normally, today's CPUs are
>>> fast enough # that you want to run compression.)
>>> *default compress
>>>
>>> # This collection retrieves the www/ tree of the FreeBSD repository
>>> #www
>>> ports-all
>>>
>> Since this is obviously a ports-supfile, are you sure you want to cvsup
>> the RELENG_6_2 ports;
>> These refer to the ports tree at the exact point when 6.2 was released.
>> You already have them, you installed that ports tree from your CDROM
>> during installation.
>> Instead, you probably need a line like:
>>
>> *default release=cvs tag=.
>>
>> to get the latest available ports.
>>

> Thanks, that has to be it, because on my laptop, I have it as above and it
> works.  The problem is that when I updated src-ports with a similar supfile,
> I ended up with FreeBSD 7 on the laptop.

Yes, and this is the right behavious since tag=. will get you HEADS from
the repository and if you use it for the BASE SYSTEM, that is src-all,
you will get FreeBSD 7.0
If you use it for the ports, you will simply get the latest available
applications, which (should) work fine on the RELEASE version.

If you wish to get the latest stable (base) system:

*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6
src-all

If you wish to get the security branch of 6.2 RELEASE, us:

*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_6_2
src-all

I suggest you read the example files in /usr/share/examples/cvsup. You
will get it instantly.