Flash

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Fri Aug 17 13:37:11 PDT 2007

On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 22:05:17 +0200
Laszlo Nagy <gandalf at shopzeus.com> wrote:

> > The flash-related questions/answers appeared probably >10 or 15
> > times on various FreeBSD lists in last 3-4 months. These threads
> > contain everything related to installation problems, warning
> > messages and other problems. In total, if Flash7 and Acrobat
> > plugins don't work inside native browsers _flawlessly_, then user
> > does something wrong.

> Oh well, yesterday I had a machine where I installed flash plugin 7
> and linuxpluginwrapper but it did NOT work until I made symlinks
> to .so files (as given in the aforementioned article). The ports tree
> was up to date, so I'm really not sure what I did wrong. :-)

What you did wrong is that you didn't read the documentation. The
symlinking you are talking about is very well explained in the Handbook:

  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/desktop-browsers.html

(section 6.2.4), and thus all googling hard work and disenchantment you
expressed publicly yesterday were not necessary. The further
investigation of recent mailing lists history would show you that
nspluginwrapper is easier to install and more reliable.

When new user comes to FreeBSD (especially it he/she is a Linux
convert), the first thing he/she has to learn is that official FreeBSD
Handbook, articles, FAQs and mailing lists @freebsd.org are the places
that contain 99.99% of answers to all imaginable questions.

FreeBSD's documentation is one of its greatest strengths, so please
take an advantage of it.

Nikola Lečić