Installing mysql 4.0

Fidel Garcia fgarcia at systeamusa.com
Fri Aug 17 07:14:25 PDT 2007

Hi

I have been trying to get mysql running for the past two days without luck.
I added these two packages using sysinstall from FTP.

mysql-client-4.0.26_1 Multithreaded SQL database (client)

mysql-server-4.0.26_2 Multithreaded SQL database (server)

I went to the folder /usr/ports/databases/mysql40-server/ and did a make
clean install.

Then I created the file /etc/my.cnf like

fr# more my.cnf

[mysqld]

datadir=/usr/local/mysql/data

socket=/tmp/mysql.sock

[mysql.server]

user=mysql

basedir=/usr/local/bin/mysql

I got stuck at this point. I have been reading online without luck. I do not
even know how to start mysql.

I hope you guys can point in the right directions.

Thanks in advance.

Fidel Garcia