Real-Time traffic monitor?

Vince jhary at unsane.co.uk
Fri Aug 17 04:33:48 PDT 2007

Eric F Crist wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I've got a fairly heavy-duty machine doing firewalling for my network,
> and the VAST majority of it's processing power is going unused.  As
> such, I'd like to put X on this box, attach a monitor, and display a
> series of real-time traffic graphs.  Does anyone know what the best
> software to use for this would be?

not sure about X programs but there is always iftop or pktstat in
ports/net-mgmt if you just want something realtime (no good for graphing
etc though i'm afraid.) Some of the the plugins for things like
sysutils/gkrellm(2) do things like traffic graphs but you really dont
want them on a firewall. If you dont need absolute realtime then just
enable bsnmp on the internal interface and run something like mrtg or
cacti (or even a very quick and dirty script  using rrdtool via cron)
against it.

Vince