vlc won't play region encoded DVDs

Predrag Punosevac punosevac at math.arizona.edu
Fri Aug 17 00:36:01 PDT 2007

Chandhee Thala wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running VLC 0.8.5 on FreeBSD 6.2.
>
> I was under the impression that VLC ignored region-encoding when
> playing DVDs, but this is apparently not the case on my BSD box.
>
> Most of the American DVDs I try to play gets a region encoding error
> and quits. I have no problems with foreign DVDs (from other
> countries).
>
> Is this standard behavior for VLC on BSD or am I doing something wrong?

Definitely something is wrong with your VLC (probably an older version)
since I can play US DVDs with VLC . In my understanding DVD standards in
US a lose because of proprietary **** so you might have been just
unlucky to pick the one with really strange coding.

I would strongly suggest you try MPlayer (if everything fails to play
some format usually MPlayer works).  I am also able to play DVDs with gxine.

I was able to play DVDs in the past with Kaffeine when I run PC-BSD for
a short period of time. Since, I run Gnome I didn't bother to install
Kaffeine.

I am NOT able to play DVDs with Movie Player from Gnome and I have not
really tried XMPS although I have the application on my computer.

I hope this helps