Share folder over internet

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at shopzeus.com
Thu Aug 16 12:39:13 PDT 2007

> You need to create a VPN connection between your two offices.  You can
> do this in a variety of ways, but probably the best solution would be
> to have static IP's for both offices and a router that has hardware
> support for VPNs at each office.  You can connect the two offices via
> a VPN connection from router to router.
Well, we do not have static IP addresses, and the routers does not
support VPN. Also I do not like the idea of VPN because I feel that
would forward more packets than needed. I may be wrong. :-)

Although we do not have static IP, we have DDNS. Is it possible to do
VPN from one FreeBSD box to another and then.... what? Mount nfs? Mount
smb? I can mount a remote smb volume then share it with another smb
server, but it looks wreid to me and I'm also concerned about speed. I
believe smb is not optimized for speed. If I have to use VPN then I
would like to use the most traffic-efficient method over VPN. Can you
suggest something?

Thanks,

   Laszlo