newfs_msdos -B

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Wed Aug 15 23:58:10 PDT 2007

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 13:05:11 +0700
Victor Sudakov <sudakov at sibptus.tomsk.ru> wrote:

> Nikola Lecic wrote:
[...]
> > However, if you need exactly m$'s dos, it's logical that you must
> > borrow from there (from existing m$-dos or window$-9*). A quick
> > googling shows that on
> >
> >   http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-userlevel/2004/03/07/0000.html
> >
> > you can read how to borrow and how much. :)
> >
> I got the idea. Thank you. For FreeBSD, it should be like
>
> % dd if=/dev/ad0s1 of=/tmp/dos_fat16.dd bs=512 count=1
> % dd if=/dev/ad0s1 of=/tmp/dos_fat32.dd bs=512 count=3
>
> BTW about FreeDOS: how many sectors for its bootblock must I copy?
> I did not know that fat16 and fat32 VBRs had different size (1 sector
> vs 3 sectors).

Hmm, I'd try with the same numbers. Since mbrbm works equally with both
m$-dos and FreeDOS, I guess that beginning sectors are composed the
same way.

Apart from install CDs, the only bootable image that FreeDOS-1.0
actually offers for download is 1.4M fdboot.img:

  http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/1.0/

Otherwise, I don't see any other way to obtain sectors of the full
system but to actually install FreeDOS somewhere (on virtual machine or
on a real slice).

Nikola Lečić