portupgrade question

Christopher Key cjk32 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 15 05:18:23 PDT 2007

Nikola Lecic wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 08:36:53 +0400 (GST)
> Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh at rakhesh.com> wrote:
>

>> Nikola Lecic wrote:
>>

>>> Yes, options are not saved that way and Vim's default is with X11.
>>> Please make sure that the following lines exist in
>>> your /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf:
>>>
>>>  MAKE_ARGS = {
>>>  	'editors/vim' => 'NO_GUI=yes',
>>>  	[... options for other ports ...]
>>>  }
>>>
>>> Next time portupgrade will honour it (without -P/-PP options, of
>>> course).
>>>
>> As far as I know, portupgrade won't honour this setting vim is
>> upgraded as a dependency of some other port. (Please correct me if
>> I'm wrong. I haven't tried this; its just something I read).
>>

> At least with portupgrade-devel, that doesn't seem true. I read it
> too, and the source was an unofficial blog. For example, I have:
>
>   MAKE_ARGS = {
>       [...]
>       'print/apsfilter'           => 'PAPERSIZE=a4',
>       'print/ghostscript-gpl'     => 'A4=yes',
>       [...]
>   }
>
> ghostscript-gpl is a dependency of apsfilter. Now, ghostscript-gpl
> needed update. I removed apsfilter for this testing purpose and:
>
>   # portupgrade -NR apsfilter
>   [...]
>   --->  Installing 'apsfilter-7.2.8_3' from a port (print/apsfilter)
>   --->  Building '/usr/ports/print/apsfilter' with make flags: PAPERSIZE=a4
>   [...]
>   --->  Upgrading 'ghostscript-gpl-8.57' to 'ghostscript-gpl-8.57_1'
> 					 	(print/ghostscript-gpl)
>   --->  Building '/usr/ports/print/ghostscript-gpl' with make flags: A4=yes A4=yes
>

>> So the /etc/make.conf option is better.
>>

> It is definitively the most universal and IMHO it should appear in the
> Handbook.
>
> I just like to keep all ports/packages upgrading options at the same
> place (USE_PKGS, MAKE_ARGS, USE_PKGS_ONLY...).
>
> BTW, as far as I can recollect, as a global-honouring tool for ports
> configuration, the most frequently quoted one along these lists was
> ports-mgmt/portconf.
>
> Nikola Lečić

Thanks Nikola, Roland, Rakhesh,

I've gone for a portconf based solution for now, although, when I get
the chance, I'll try to test how portupgrade behaves wrt dependencies.
I would prefer to use pkgtools.conf for several reasons:

1) It keeps all the ports related configuration together
2) MAKE_ARGS get echoed when things are being built, whereas arguments
in make.conf don't seem to
3) If I run 'make install clean', I'd rather it built things as default,
rather than just being an alternative to 'portupgrade -N'

Regards,

Chris