Looking for powerful machines that runs FreeBSD on it

Predrag Punosevac punosevac at math.arizona.edu
Tue Aug 14 11:53:50 PDT 2007

Caio Figueiredo Abecia wrote:
> I'm not a expert in hardware..
>
> I have some contacts that could help me to make a machine in parts.
> That's what you mean ?
>
> Sorry about the bad english.
>
> Could you give me a tip ?
> What configuration machine do you have maked in parts ?
>
> I want to do what you did.
> Have a machine running without problems Freebsd and maybe windows to
> run some things that I use in work.
>
> Thanks in advance man
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Predrag Punosevac"
> <punosevac at math.arizona.edu>

I am not a native English speaker either:-)
Well, I live in states so there are quite a few reliable internet
hardware vendors.  I like the best  newegg.com but you have
to check several to get best deals. There are also no
sales taxes on internet sales in states.

I wanted small but powerful workstation so I ordered Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor E4300 it is in states around 120$
It has 775 connection pin so you obviously need a mother board
supporting that pin.
Motherboard is by far you most important decision so you would carefully
have to look the specifications
north bridge chip set
shout bridge chip set
sata controller chip set
lan controller chip set
on board audio
on board video

I could give you specification of my mother board but I think it would
be better if you find one that you like it and than check
each of the above against FreeBSD hardware database (see hardware notice
for this) . You should also google your mother board since
many people left they hardware specifications and how it behaves under
FreeBSD.

Probably you could get a solid one for about
$120 even less. To get a server board you would probably need $250 at
least.

You need Hard Drive obviously ~ $40 for about 200Gb
You already have RAM

Now that also can restrict the choice of your motherboard because you
want one that supports RAM you already have.
Yours is probably DDR II 553 since it was bought for DeLL. I have DDR II
667 (2 x 1Gb dual channel kit obviously much faster)which
I paid ~$50
You could even get DDR II 800 for couple extra bucks

DVD-RW ~ $30

You need a good power supply ~ $10
Case, PS/2 mouse and keyboard~$30

So I spent about $400 dollars but  my computer is no less than $1000
retail and all my parts are premium quality.

The better the computer you want to build the more you would save.

There is also a list of FreeBSD hardware vendors on freebsd.org web
site. They are usually more expensive but you would
get FreeBSD specific parts without any thinking

Get an old CRT monitor from junk yard for testing purposes you will get
one LCD latter.