Redundant network router setup?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Aug 13 17:19:37 PDT 2007

On Aug 13, 2007, at 4:59 PM, Modulok wrote:
> QUESTION: Is there a way to setup a redundant router, such that I can
> offload traffic from the primary router to another machine, without
> breaking TCP sessions?

There are several ways of setting up such redundancy; the common case
which Cisco calls VRRP, you can use under FreeBSD as CARP.  However,
this approach is limited to pure routing; it does not handle
replicating the NAT state tables:

> BACKGROUND: I have a FreeBSD machine acting as a gateway, running
> natd(8) through ipfw(8).

...which you mention you are using.  I don't know of any way to
provide redundancy for existing connections going via natd.

--
-Chuck