Queue file write error and swap_pager issues

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Mon Aug 13 11:20:17 PDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 12:38:24PM -0400, Eric Sheesley wrote:
> I have a Freebsd 6.2 server. For the past month or so I've been getting
> various messages from postfix saying "Error: queue file write error" and
> occasionally in the system logs I'll receive the following:
>
> +swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj: 0, blkno: 130435, size: 4096
> +swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj: 0, blkno: 130409, size: 4096
> +swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: bufobj: 0, blkno: 125548, size: 4096
>
> I made some modifications to amavis-new to use the clamd virus scanning
> daemon instead of the command line version and most of the postfix
> errors went away but I still occasionally get one. I've used the system
> bios utilities to do a drive scan on both of the drives(raid 1) and they
> both were fine according to that. Any ideas?

The swap_pager messages may be unrelated to your postfix error, but
they indicate that a swap I/O operation took more than 60 seconds to
complete, which is usually due to a hardware problem (e.g. drive
dropping I/O) or an extremely overloaded system (other I/O delaying
the swap request for more than 60 seconds).

Kris