Backspace

d.Z. dz902i at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 23:45:55 PDT 2007

Thanks for helping everybody.

But actually I'm using Bourne shell on FreeBSD 6.1 just like the
Solaris in lab, and the FreeBSD is freshly installed, I have checked
.shrc and .profile, but nothing related to key bindings or stty's
there, so what I thought it should be is:

after I login -> [press backspace] -> ^H appears -> [press DEL] -> ^? appears
in emacs -> [press backspace] -> oops, help appears

I think Solaris was just like the above. But in my FreeBSD, things go like:

after I login -> [press backspace will erase last char] -> [press DEL
does the same thing]
no matter what have I done to "stty" like "stty erase ^H" and "stty
erase2 ^H", the result is just the same, backspace and DEL still can
be used to erase last char in shell. The only difference is in emacs,
but I searched the net and found that emacs relies on its own
definition of key bindings in ~/.emacs file (it is empty in this
case), rather than the terminal key bindings. Totally confused.

Any idea? Thanks again for you kind people.