Network Monitor?

Kelly D. Grills kdgrills at the-grills.com
Sun Aug 12 20:01:30 PDT 2007

On Sun, Aug 12, 2007 at 06:54:57PM -0500, Jack Barnett wrote:

> Is there a way to monitor what traffic is coming in/out of my network?
> For example: so me how much bandwidth emails are taking, how much http
> traffic (both in and outgoing), etc.
> I'd like a report broken down by "traffic type" like in windows.
>
> FreeBSD-6.2 x86

MRTG is in the ports collection, /usr/ports/net-mgmt/mrtg

[kdgrills at srv2]/usr/ports/net-mgmt/mrtg $ cat pkg-descr
The Multi Router Traffic Grapher (MRTG) is a tool to monitor the
traffic
load on network-links. MRTG generates HTML pages containing PNG
images which
provide a LIVE visual representation of this traffic. Check

WWW: http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/

for an example. MRTG is based on Perl and C and works under UNIX and
Windows
NT.

MRTG is being successfully used on many sites around the net.
Check the MRTG-Site-Map, which is at:
http://ee-staff.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/users.html

--
Kelly D. Grills