Convince me, please! - too much about "GUI"

Nikola Lecic nlecic at EUnet.yu
Thu Aug 9 10:31:50 PDT 2007

On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 12:15:08 -0500
Reid Linnemann <lreid at cs.okstate.edu> wrote:

> My ten year old niece has been brainwashed by the GUI quagmire. She
> saw my FreeBSD 6-STABLE console on my amd64 3000+ and wanted to know
> why i was using such an "old" computer. [...] Granted, it could be
> only because she's ten.

The important part is that she asked you why you used a "computer"
because, like millions of users, she don't make difference between
computer and window$ (i.e. OS). People will rarely explicitly state
that, of course, but when I speak to some people, I see that they
sincerely assume that.

That reminds me of a typical brainwashing sencence from window$: when
you want to press the reboot icon, the text over your mouse will tell
something like "Shut down and start Windows again"; the sencence
contains an explicit equalisation of machine and window$.

So I'd say this has nothing to do with one's age.

Nikola Lečić