Convince me, please!

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Aug 9 06:49:17 PDT 2007

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, Latitude wrote:

> I'm interested in changing over to FreeBSD from Windows,

Why?

> but I'll have to say, you guys don't really present a forceful
> argument to Windows users of how easy the switch may be.

FreeBSD finds users by being a quality operating system, not by trying
to get people to switch away from Windows.

> I get knee-deep in FreeBSD jargon the second I get to your webpage.

Jargon comes with the territory; Windows itself has a specialized
jargon.  There are online sources to discover the meanings of jargon
terms.

> I need to see an overwhelming argument that FreeBSD is a perfectly
> acceptable alternative for home desktop users who have previously
> known only Windows.

FreeBSD as provided is not an alternative to Windows for the home
desktop user.  It can be set up that way.

> For instance, if I download and install FreeBSD, will I instantly have a
> desktop windowing environment that I can navigate in while I figure out
> what's going on?

No.  All of that is separate from the operating system, and has to be
installed if wanted by the user.

> Will I have a browser

No, there isn't one included in the base system.

> and way to setup an internet connection right off the bat?

Yes, ifconfig, dhclient, and friends are available in the base system.

> How will I migrate files from other operating systems?

It would depend on the files, filesystems, physical media, and other
factors like applications.

> I understand you guys have been around for a while, but you don't seem
> to understand the monumental "fear" involved in switching operating
> systems.  You need to address those concerns head on from the start.

FreeBSD is mostly not looking for Windows switchers, so the problem
doesn't come up.  On the other hand, if you or someone else wants to
position FreeBSD as a desktop Windows alternative, there's nothing to
keep you from making your own modifications and providing the end
result.  Like these guys:

http://www.pcbsd.com

> I need to see several screenshots of apps that I can use as
> alternatives to what I have.

Pick the applications you want to use, and then choose an operating
system that runs them.  Most open source applications run on multiple
operating systems, including Linux, FreeBSD, and even Windows.

> Help me (and yourselves) out.

All the cool kids are running Ubuntu:

http://www.ubuntu.com