Problem with dump over SSH: Operation timed out

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Aug 9 05:20:09 PDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 10:25:41AM +0200, Bram Schoenmakers wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> There is a problem with performing a dump from our webserver at the data
> centre to a backup machine at the office. Everytime we try to perform a dump,
> the SSH tunnel dies:
>
> # /sbin/dump -0uan -L -h 0 -f - / | /usr/bin/bzip2 | /usr/bin/ssh
> backup at office.example.com \
>         dd of=/backup/webserver/root.0.bz2
>
>   DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Wed Aug  8 20:58:51 2007
>   DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
>   DUMP: Dumping snapshot of /dev/da0s1a (/) to standard output
>   DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
>   DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
>   DUMP: estimated 60746 tape blocks.
>   DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
>   DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
> Read from remote host office.example.com: Operation timed out
>   DUMP: Broken pipe
>   DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.

Note:    I have been getting something that looks very similar when I
try to dump a large file system - actually not all that large, just
about 30 GB - over the net to a different machine.  The one with the
tape is running a quite old FreeBSD - around 4.9 I think - and can't
be upgraded at the moment.  The one I am attempting to dump is on 6.1 -
which I want to move to 6.2, but have been stalling because I haven't
been able to get a good dump.

I don't have anything to add to Bram's facts here, just that the
timeout like this is happening on another system too.

////jerry