restart network without shutdown

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakhesh at rakhesh.com
Tue Aug 7 10:12:28 PDT 2007

Eric Crist wrote:

> Install screen from ports, run it from within screen.
>
> You'll still get disconnected, but you should be able to reconnect after it's
> done.  Screen will allow the script to complete, whereas your ssh session is
> killing it half/part way through...
>
> HTH

Just curious -- how come screen works in such situations? I recollect
someone else too recommending screen a few days ago (instead of "watch" to
connect to another terminal) coz it doesn't get cut. The SSH session in
which screen runs gets disconnected, but screen still works ... useful!

Regards,
Rakhesh