6.2 not compatible with new sata drives ?!

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Thu Aug 2 04:38:59 UTC 2007

I know it strains credibility, but I can't see what else the problem
could be.  I got 2 new 160GB drives last month, and my system has been
unstable ever since.  I have swapped cables, purchased a brand-new
sata150 controller (as opposed to the year old sataII), and the
results are always the same.  I thought the drives might be DOA so I
RMA'd one of the 160's, and got a new 400GB yesterday, and it's
differenent, but similar.  Get lots of "setfeatures settransfermode
taskqueue timeout" errors in dmesg, can't read sectors, sometimes the
system reboots, etc.  The only fix is to remove the new drives.
Anyone else had this issue?  My 2 old sata 160GB drives from last year
are rock solid, but they get "disconnected" if you touch one of the
new drives.  Unplug the new drives, and no problems whatsoever with
the old ones.  I put both the sata150 and the sataII card in my
system, and put the old 160's on one, and the new 160's on the other,
and the old ones work fine, but the new ones still die (they just
don't take the old ones with them when they are on their own card).
So I'm pretty convinced it's the drives, but why?  This is like the
old Win95 days.  I haven't had a legitimate hardware issue since I
don't know when....

Steve