Installing from USB Flash Drive

Ross Penner ross.penner at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 18:34:20 UTC 2007

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to install a system on a machine that doesn't have an optical
drive. I plan on using a USB flash drive to do the job and found a
messages from hackers at freebsd.org
(http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org/msg55434.html)
about just such a thing. The script provided converts the CD image into
one suitable for a flashmemory stick. I used  and coverted it without
issue. The instructions say to use dd to prepare the flash drive so
executed
#dd if=flashbsd.iso of=/dev/da0
I'm not entirely confident that that was the correct procedure, as I'm
quite unfamilar with dd. Unfortunetly, I can't seem to get the drive to
boot. I can mount the filesystem so it seems that prepareing the drive was
succesful. I'm using a via chipset and yes, the bios is set to boot from
USB-FDD. I used the 6.2 boot only image.

Thanks for any insight you can provide me.

Ross

--
sig ho!