updating multiple freebsd desktops

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakhesh at rakhesh.com
Wed Aug 1 05:10:09 UTC 2007

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007, Bram Van Steenlandt wrote:
> So what I would really like is to make one machine the build/test machine and
> keep this machine up to date with the ports and portmanager or so.
> Can I then set up some kind of repo with the packages from this machine and
> run something like "yum upgrade" on every desktop we have ?

1. Use one machine as the build/ test machine. Let /usr/ports be on that,
and shared to all the other machines.

2. Keep the ports tree up-to-date on this machine, and while building
ports make packages too. (`make package-recursive` will do I guess). These
will be stored on /usr/ports/packages.

3. On the clients, let /usr/ports be the shared one from the main machine.
   a) If you want to find the packages that need updating, use
      something like `pkg_version -l "<"`.
   b) If you want to update *all* the packages, use something like
      `portupgrade -aPP`.

I haven't done any of these myself. Just that if I were in a situation
such as yours, this is what I'd probably do.

Regards,
Rakhesh