oops, what have i done!

Rakhesh Sasidharan rakhesh at rakhesh.com
Wed Aug 1 04:20:23 UTC 2007

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, Adam J Richardson wrote:

> Pollywog wrote:
>> On Saturday 28 July 2007 20:23:16 Erik Trulsson wrote:
>>
>>> Short answer:  It is perfectly normal.  Don't worry.
>>>
>>> Longer answer:
>>>
>>> The reason you have all of them installed is that some ports need one of
>>> them, and others need another one etc.
>>> It is perfectly safe to have all of them installed at the same time.
>>>
>>> You can delete any or all of them if you wish, but don't be surprised if
>>> they get pulled in again by one port or another.

Kind of related to this topic. Is there any way I can find installed
packages that are *not* required by any other packages?

Many a times while upgrading ports I've stumbled upon stuff that is no
longer required by other packages but is still there ... (Possibly they
were pulled in when I installed some package I wanted. Later I removed
that, but forgot to remove this requirement package).

Regards,
Rakhesh