A good quiet power supply? (bought one...)

Bill-Schoolcraft bill at wiliweld.com
Mon Apr 30 23:29:15 UTC 2007

At Mon, 30 Apr 2007 it looks like Chuck Swiger composed:

> Bill-Schoolcraft wrote:
>> Just got a new PC at home, it's noisy and was wondering if anyone can share
>> some experience here.  I just read about a "fanless" power-supply and then
>> realized I needed some input.
>
> It's possible to run systems which don't use enough power to need fans, but
> you have to design the system accordingly using either underclocked
> components or low-power/laptop-oriented CPU and video.  Most desktop systems
> are going to run too hot without some form of active cooling.
>
> Also, you probably should start by opening the case and seeing what is making
> all of the noise: it might be a CPU fan or even a chipset fan, and not the
> PSU fan, which is causing most of the racket.
>
> For the PSU, good vendors include Antec, Foxconn, and Enermax...look for a
> unit which has a single "smart" (thermally controlled) 120mm fan, as the
> larger fan can run at a lower speed and still move enough air.

Thanks everyone for the help here, I've learned alot as a result.

After alot of reading reviews I took a drive at lunch and purchased
the following powersupply:

http://www.xoxide.com/seasonic-s12-430w-psu.html

I will of view the interior of the case again with the above
mentioned "clues" in mind and see what can be unplugged.  It's a
simple single disk box, serving nothing, just in the bedroom.

Thanks Family :)

--
   Bill Schoolcraft <*> http://wiliweld.com

"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday,
     lying in hospitals dying of nothing."
                 -- Redd Foxx