Greylisting -- Was: Anti Spam

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Mon Apr 30 05:20:21 UTC 2007

That's a bit different.  It is trivial to adapt to greylisting.  It is
not trivial to adapt to spamassassin, particularly if they have the
learner turned on.

> The
> fact that it doesn't take a lot of programming effort isn't the
> reason,

Yes, it is actually.  Because for the simple reason that the small
amount of programming effort required makes it possible to countermand
greylisting AT ALL.

It isn't possible, I think, for a spammer to programmically get through
a SA setup with the learner turned on, that has a dictionary that
has been built up through both ham and spam submissions.  The main
reason spammers do get past that has more to do with the difficult of
getting normal users to properly feed the learner.  But the problem from
the spammers point of view is that in the Internet, 10 different SA sites
could have 10 different rules.  But 10 different greylist sites will all
act the same, so if your going to put effort into countering the filters,
you would be smarter to counter greylisting first.