Wikipedia's perfection (was Re: Discussion of therelative advantages/disadvantages of PAE (was Re: Memory>3.5GB not used?))

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Fri Apr 27 15:49:36 UTC 2007

I try to avoid stuff I don't care about.

> If you're not a mechanic or car enthusiast, do you look into anything
> and everything on how a clutch works, or every variation of four
> wheel drive implementations?  Probably not.

Yes, but if your driving a car you should.  There's a lot of stuff people
should be doing these days that they aren't doing.  I guess people's mothers
aren't telling their kids to eat their vegetables anymore.

> We don't devote time and
> resources into being "renaissance people".

Most of us don't.  And the reasons why are complex, but what it essentially
boils down to is that there's a lot of vested interests out there that
don't want the majority of people to be renaissance people and so they
have been on a campaign for many years to discourage it, and a lot of
people are stupid and have fallen for that.

> For me, I look up the
> answer, if it sounds reasonable, I go with it unless someone else
> points out a deficiency in the answer.  I need a quick and dirty
> answer to move on to things I *do* care about.

Why do you need a quick and dirty answer for stuff you admittedly don't
care about?

> The problem is that people will accept an answer whether it makes
> sense or not.  We had someone once convinced that a "Laser Car Wash"
> cleaned cars by shooting small lasers at the car to clean it.  It was
> something so far left field of what they're interested in and
> knowledgeable about that they just accepted the answer, even though
> there's no way such a system would be affordable (or safe enough) to
> use as a car washing tool.

Damn, there goes those patent plans...

> Then again, there are those that do this intentionally, because
> spreading misinformation is in their best interest and they profit
> from it.  Even schools profit, not necessarily monetarily, by keeping
> students from questioning what they are taught.

Yes, that is true.  But it's important to keep in mind that while
schools profit from this, many teachers don't - and therefore buck
the pressure to churn out unquestioning students.

Ted