Recompiling the source tree

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Fri Apr 27 15:31:12 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 10:49:16PM -0700, Dhananjaya hiremath wrote:

> Hello sir,
>
>     Here we installed FreeBSD 6.2 RELEASE  and installing the gnome2.
> But here it is giving file system is full (device is full) but we used
> the entire disk how it is possible to full the disk.

Well, that is a big problem.
The first question is:   is your disk small or is there a lot of
stuff there that should be cleaned out?   Doing an upgrade can
require a lot of extra disk - a couple Gb or so, but not 30 GB
or something like that.    You also do not say which file system
is full.   If it is '/' and you have everything in '/', then it
could be trouble.   If it is /tmp and the other file systems have
plenty of space, just nuke what is in /tmp.

Use 'df -k'  to check file system usage.
Then cd to the file system that is full and use du(1) to
find out where the space is being used.
  du -sk *
CD in to any directory that look unexpectedly large and do
the same du -sk * command again.   Keep following the directory
tree until you track down where some space might be filled with
old or unnecessary stuff and clean it up.

If you cannot make enough space that way, you may have to add disk.

Once you get the disk issue worked out, then follow the handbook
sections on upgrading step by step.   It will work.

> And another thing is we updated the source tree but how to recompile this.

The handbook tells exactly the steps you need to take.
Each step is a 'make xxxxx'   something in a correct directory
and a reboot, plus a mergemaster.

////jerry