pfctl syntax error

alex at schnarff.com alex at schnarff.com
Thu Apr 26 23:26:19 UTC 2007

> I want to store table data in /etc/pfspammers so I created the file and
> also put in the pf.conf table definition on line 18
>
> table <pfspammers> persist file /etc/pfspammers
>
> and added a rule to block tcp connections if an IP is in /etc/pfspammers
>
> When I reload pfctl, I get a warning:
> No ALTQ support in kernel
> ALTQ related functions disabled
> /etc/pf.conf:18: syntax error
> pfctl: Syntax error in config file: pf rules not loaded

First off, the ALTQ lines aren't really so much of an error, since
you're not trying to use altq functionality; don't worry about that.

As for the actual error on line 18, if you review:

http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/tables.html

You'll see that the file name should be enclosed in quotes. If that
doesn't fix the error, please post the contents of /etc/pfspammers, so
it can be checked for syntax errors.

Alex Kirk