[OT] simpliest way to process this data file

Jonathan McKeown jonathan at hst.org.za
Thu Apr 26 10:55:00 UTC 2007

On Thursday 26 April 2007 08:51, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 11:18 +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
[snip]
> > I have a data file formatted like this each block of data consist of
> > several lines; blocks are separated by empty lines like this
> >
> >         This is a
> >         block
> >         of data
> >         with lines
> >
> >         and another block
> >         of
> >         data
> >
> > The task is to move the last line of each block to the first line of the
> > block. So the processed data look like this:
> >
> >         with lines
> >         This is a
> >         block
> >         of data
> >
> >         data
> >         and other block
> >         of
[snip]
I would use Perl, which can read in a paragraph at a time. Assuming you don't
mind having multiple blank lines in the input replaced by a single blank
line, this Perl commandline will do what you want:

perl -l -00 -pe 's/(.*)^(.*)$/$2\n$1/ms' datafile

Read perldoc perlrun for the flags, and perldoc perlre to understand the regex
(in particular the m and s modifiers).

Jonathan