Unable to login using KDE

Ivan "Rambius" Ivanov rambiusparkisanius at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 09:10:42 UTC 2007

Hello,

I am debugging a (seemingly) KDE-related problem on a FreeBSD laptop.
The version of FreeBSD is 6.1-RELEASE-p10 #0. I am starting in in
debug mode. It is using kdm as a login screen. The corresponding line
in /etc/ttys is

ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/kdm -nodaemon" xterm on secure

The problem is: when I type the username and password and try to login
it returns me to the login screen again. I am 100% sure that I use
correct passwords since I changed them for a couple of accounts. I am
able to login from the text terminals.

There are two suspicious messages when the machine is booted. The first one is:

Information: reading old kdmrc /usr/local/share/config/kdm/kdmrc (from
kde >= 2.2.x)
Information: old kdmrc is from kde >= 3.1 (config version 2.3)

The second one is:

kdm_config[543]: Host "<some gibberish text>" not found

and it is repeated four times with a different gibberish text.

I googled for these errors but found nothing.

I would be very grateful for any advice or pointers.

Regards
Rambius

--
Tangra Mega Rock: http://www.radiotangra.com