Tagging email subject line with something like [fbsd-questions]

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Wed Apr 25 21:44:22 UTC 2007

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 03:37:41PM -0600, Warren Block wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Apr 2007, Chad Perrin wrote:
> >On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 02:53:40PM +0100, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
> >>
> >>All messages are already tagged with a List-ID
> >>
> >>e.g.

> >Do you have any suggestions for how to do something similar with mutt or
> >procmail?
>
> procmail can filter out duplicates and sort messages into "folders"
> (directories under ~/mail):
>
>     PATH=$HOME/procmail:/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/bin:/usr/local/bin:.
>     MAILDIR=$HOME/mail
>     # DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox
>     LOGFILE=$HOME/.procmaillog
>     LOCKFILE=$HOME/.lockmail
>
>     # Weed out duplicate messages.
>     :0 Wh: msgid.lock
>     | /usr/local/bin/formail -D 8192 $HOME/.msgid.cache
>
>     # FreeBSD Questions Mailing list
>     :0
>     * ^List-Id:.*freebsd-questions.freebsd.org
>     $MAILDIR/FreeBSD-Questions
>
> This puts questions messages in a "folder" called FreeBSD-Questions
> (which you should probably create beforehand).  You'll also need a
> .forward file or FEATURE(local_procmail) in your sendmail .mc file to
> use procmail.

If I wanted them in different "folders", I'd have sorted them that way.
Unfortunately, what I'd like is a way to visually mark messages as
originating from a specific mailing list.  Separating them into a
bunch of "folders" just reduces the likelihood I'll get to all my email
in a given day.  I appreciate the attempt to help, but it doesn't
address my actual preferences.

I fully expect that there isn't really an answer aside from using mutt's
list subscription functionality, which unfortunately overwrites the name
or email of the original sender in the diplay.

Ben Franklin: "As we enjoy great Advantages from the Inventions of
others we should be glad of an Opportunity to serve others by any
Invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously."