Defending against SSH attacks with pf

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Wed Apr 25 13:42:03 UTC 2007

Bill Moran wrote:

>I'm a big fan of PKI, but PKI suffers from one major problem, and it's
>the same flaw that physical keys suffer from: you have to have the key
>with you.

If I had to use SSH from random locations, I'd get a USB stick that
attached to a (physical) keyring and just stick it with my (physical)
keys since I already have to carry those everywhere.  The SSH keys
should be protected by decent passphrases so even losing the USB stick
isn't the biggest deal.  Imation seem to make one that has one of those
climbing-style buckles:
http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=247840&CatId=322

Probably you could fit the install file for PuTTY on there too, in case
you had to use from a primitive windows environment.

--Alex