How do I forward old root emails from the root mailbox to my address?

Oliver Peter hoschi at mouhaha.de
Wed Apr 25 09:57:16 UTC 2007

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 11:11:07AM +0200, Andreas Widere Andersen wrote:
> Hi,
> On one of my FreeBSD servers all system emails to root is stored in the root
> mailbox under /var/mail/root. I have updated my alias file so new mail is
> forwarded to one of my email adresses, but is there a simple way for me to
> send all these old mails in root's mailbox to my email address without
> logging in through pop3/imap?
>
> A command line trick would be perfect.

mutt is your friend.

Open the mbox file with
	  # mutt -R -f /var/mail/root

Then Tag all mails (press 'T' then enter '.') and bounce the tagged
messages (press ';' and thenn 'b') to your personal email address.

That's the easiest way I know.
(Of course you need a running MTA, too)

--
Oliver PETER, email: hoschi at mouhaha.de, ICQ# 113969174
"Worker bees can leave. Even drones can fly away. The Queen is their slave."