UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

L Goodwin xrayv19 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 24 01:09:20 UTC 2007

Thanks, Robert.

Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com> wrote:
L Goodwin writes:

>  I accidentally pushed the POWER button instead of the CD-ROM door
>  open/close button and turned the computer off. In my defense, the
>  power button is right next to it AND has a hair trigger. :-(
>
>  I turned the computer back on, and FreeBSD booted with no
>  complaints, so I assumed all was well.

 That was your second error.
 As I learned it:
 On anything other than a clean shutdown, you will need to fsck
everything that was mounted at the time of the crash.  (Remember to
get the stuff that's "noauto" in fstab.)
 Run fsck on each partitions.  Repeat until it reports no
errors.  (Not "MARKED CLEAN" but not errors.

    Robert Huff