Invalid Global DNS name and sendmail

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Apr 23 22:25:01 UTC 2007

On Apr 23, 2007, at 12:19 PM, Andrew Fremantle wrote:
> With all the configurations I've tried, emails are rejected by my
> smarthost with an error like "sender address root at psyche.local
> invalid; domain does not exist".
>
> What I'd like to do is find a way to alter sendmail's perception of
> my hostname. Ideally, this would only affect sendmail and nothing
> else.

The reason emails from root are being exposed using the real hostname
is because of this:

   # class E: names that should be exposed as from this host, even if
we masquerade
   # class L: names that should be delivered locally, even if we have
a relay
   # class M: domains that should be converted to $M
   # class N: domains that should not be converted to $M
   #CL root
   C{E}root

...in sendmail.cf.  Remove root from this C{E} line and you should be
all set.

However, if you want to explicitly set your hostname in sendmail,
change this:

   # my official domain name
   # ... define this only if sendmail cannot automatically determine
your domain
   #Dj$w.Foo.CO

...to:

   Djmyhost.example.com