UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

youshi10 at u.washington.edu youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Mon Apr 23 20:31:52 UTC 2007

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007, L Goodwin wrote:

[...]

> I assume I'll have to run fsck on /usr, but have 2 questions:
> 1) Is this problem caused by yesterday's accidental power-off?

Yes, most likely.

> 2) What prompts should I expect from fsck, and how should I reply to each in order to resolve this problem correctly?

Just say yes to all the prompts, but backup any important data first. Or if you're afraid of any issues, reinstall. If this problem persists (near every time you reboot), it's time to get a new drive because it got toasted during a write phase. I wouldn't say that though until you install from scratch though and verify that that is or is not the case.

-Garrett