I like Ubuntu

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Thu Apr 19 20:16:43 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 11:44:02AM -0700, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2007, at 11:34 AM, Chad Perrin wrote:
> >I just accidentally sent some responses to comments in various
> >parts of
> >this discussion thread that targeted only the individual people who
> >sent
> >the emails to which I responded.  I actually meant to respond to the
> >list in each case.  The lack of a list-reply is playing hell with my
> >ability to consistently respond to the list.
>
> Every functional mailclient ought to support "reply to all".  If
> yours doesn't, consider using something like Thunderbird from
> Mozilla, which runs on most platforms...

I'm using mutt.  It supports bloody well everything.  The problem is not
that it doesn't support group-reply (what Windows-users tend to call
"reply to all"), but that the list doesn't support list-reply and the
direct reply doesn't respond to the list either.  Because of the way
mailing lists usually work, my habitual approach is to try list-reply,
and if that doesn't work, to use the standard reply.  This keeps the
signal to noise ratio for individuals on the list to whom I'm replying
to a minimum, as a group-reply sends an email to *every single person
that has been involved in a given subthread*, which is really obnoxious.

I'm not a fan of getting multiple copies of emails due to a group-reply,
and I'm sure others feel the same.  Thus, I choose to avoid using the
group-reply method when at all possible -- especially since I don't have
time to spend on editing the to and cc headers of every single email I
send out.

Is that clear enough for you?  I'm not an imbecile that doesn't know how
to use email, and I'm not using a mail client circa 1884 either.