I like Ubuntu

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Thu Apr 19 18:34:04 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 02:42:57PM -0300, Henry Lenzi wrote:
> >> I'll give you a real example. I have a licensed mathematics package
> >> called Maple. It expensive. Ubuntu (Debian) just broke the
> >> installation from one upgrade to another. They take pride in not
> >> keeping backwards compatibility. Then, I used FreeBSD with the Red Hat
> >> emulation software, ad I have it running.
> >

> Yes. Well, you try that: buy expensive software and go use Ubuntu.
> Then, check if works between some release cycle.
>
> I will offer a piece of advice: Linux is so prone to mutation and so
> proud in their disregard for any sane ABI policy, that I recommend for
> those that wish to use commercial software on Linux that they choose
> Red Hat, because that is what all the vendors support, mostly.

I just accidentally sent some responses to comments in various parts of
this discussion thread that targeted only the individual people who sent
the emails to which I responded.  I actually meant to respond to the
list in each case.  The lack of a list-reply is playing hell with my
ability to consistently respond to the list.  Any who get emails from me
in this thread today, please check to see if they were addressed to the
list in CC, and if not, forward them to the list if you don't mind.