I like Ubuntu

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Thu Apr 19 17:04:23 UTC 2007

Henry Lenzi wrote:
> I find nothing brilliant in Debian's package management. It's heavily
> dependent upon human intervention and just adds a layer of complexity
> on top of a problem that was *already solved* in the Unix world, by
> using Make files. Do they have a better backtracking algorithm then
> Make? No.

I don't understand this at all. Assuming that Ubuntu's package
management is nearly the same as Debian's (by means of apt-get etc.)
then how do you figure it's heavily dependent on human intervention?

Perhaps you have portupgrade (that happens to be fairly intense when it
comes to human input and or intervention) confused with apt-get and or
apt-get upgrade/update?

If you are not confused, then perhaps the version of Debian or Ubuntu
was in it's infancy stages?

> Debian's package management is the number one cause that distro just
> got slower and slower in their release cycle.

Interesting - so, the semi annual (of course this means 2 times a year)
release of say Ubuntu isn't in line with say, OpenBSD or even FreeBSD
(when they manage to push our 2 releases in a year).

Base on what you have stated - you either used a very old version of
Debian or a very old version of Ubuntu. Then again, there is always the
notion that you may not have used any of the above and are just talking
out your keister ;)

--
Best regards,
Chris