I like Ubuntu

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Thu Apr 19 16:43:37 UTC 2007

Henry Lenzi wrote:
> On 4/13/07, Claude Menski <claude.menski at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Why is freebsd better then ubuntu?
>
> I'll give you a real example. I have a licensed mathematics package
> called Maple. It expensive. Ubuntu (Debian) just broke the
> installation from one upgrade to another. They take pride in not
> keeping backwards compatibility. Then, I used FreeBSD with the Red Hat
> emulation software, ad I have it running.

We'll have to take your word for that on this.

> Another example: documentation (with whole books on the system desgin)
> and a community more knowledgeable.

While I myself agree that FreeBSD documentation is damned good - Ubuntu
is pretty damned good also. I can't say either pro nor con for Debian.

> Plus, ports. You don have to wait 6 months like in Debian.

This may or may not be true - I myself have not used Debian. I have used
Ubuntu (6.10 and upgraded to 7.04) and I was happy with the applications
I installed/used.

One thing to mention - you keep saying Debian. While it's true Ubuntu is
Debian-ish (A distro of, a fork - whatever they call it), I think that
you may be tainting your overall opinion based on Debian.

IIRC - the op specifically stated Ubuntu and NOT Debian. Just ensureing
that you don't cloud the already murky waters of this thread.

> Additionally, you can run Linux software under emulation layer.

Agreed - and in many cases, even better then on a Linux distro.

> BSD license.

This goes without saying.

--
Best regards,