IBM / FreeBSD Install problem

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Thu Apr 19 14:42:16 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 10:14:13AM +1000, Murray Taylor wrote:

> Server: IBM X3850 (88633SM)
> CPU X 4: 40K2522
> HDD X 6: 40K1051
> IBM ServeRAID 8i: 39R8729
>
> We are attempting to install FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE onto this machine and
> are running into a problem getting the operating system to recognise the
> RAID controller. As a result not finding any disks when it comes to
> installing the O/S.
>
> We have attempted various modifications to the boot process, including
> the loading of an "aac" module, which according to the BSD website,
> should provide support for this type of controller.

I have only installed on a couple of raids and so don't know about
them all or even this one.   So, this might not apply to your situation.
But, I found that I had to study DMESG very carefully to find out what
device to use for them.   The system seemed to put out a lot of messages
that looked like other device names but in the end there was just one
little line that pointed to the correct one.    The most recent one was
a Dell Perc 3i or something like that and I had to run the fixit and
study the boot messages to figure it out.    I don't have that one
available to look at what it turned out to be, but it was more simple
than I first thought from all the stuff it wrote out.  After mucking
with fixit a bit, then sysinstall seemed to figure it out OK.  I don't
remember actually changing anything - just fishing around a while.
I may have run fdisk under fixit to look at things and maybe delete
some slices.

So, rather than trying to change things right off, I would suggest
looking carefully at stuff and trying to determine what it is already
doing.

Anyway, good luck,

////jerry