MS, Adobe competition heats up, Will Adobe wake and port Flash to BSD?

DAve dave.list at pixelhammer.com
Thu Apr 19 13:48:57 UTC 2007

Tom Evans wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 06:59 +0300, Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri wrote:
>> On 4/18/07, illoai at gmail.com <illoai at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On 17/04/07, Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri <almarrie at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> . . .
>>> I hope they kill each other and take the whole
>>> retch-media enhanced web experience with
>>> them flaming into the pit of hell from which
>>> they came.
>>>
>>> But that's just my opinion.

>> I'm sorry but rich media is a fact in the web, and you can't ignore it.
>>
>> Flash is used with Yahoo! maps, and so with alot of useful apps like
>> stocks prices ..etc.
>
> Google Maps works just fine without flash - why would you want to
> constrain your viewport to some poxy applet control?
> If I want to watch a video, I want to use mplayer, not Firefox,
>
>> Instead of ignoring it, we should see it ported to FreeBSD.
>
> I write web applications for a living, and quite happily ignore the
> steaming pile of excrement that is rich media applets - the number of
> 3rd party browser addons whose sole purpose is to disable flash
> reassures me that I'm not alone in this view

What FreeBSD needs is a program to display a map just like Google,
MapQuest, Yahoo, etc. Except, here is the kicker, make the map
"correct". I used an online map for the first time in two years last
week, it was wrong. I stopped and picked up a new RM Atlas on my way home.

I am afraid I must agree with Mr. Evans, rich media is a comedy. Back in
1998 everyone was screaming "it's the content dummy!". That is still
true today, and still gleefully ignored by most. Just so long as it is
pretty, uses [web|i|e]-<insert new buzz here>, or wins a Weby, the
content is meaningless, and no one seems to care.

Sorry, I'll go sit in the corner again.

DAve

Veterans?