dump/restore corrupted filesystems

CyberLeo Kitsana cyberleo at cyberleo.net
Thu Apr 19 00:05:02 UTC 2007

Jerry McAllister wrote:
>> Smart says that the drives are fine, as does the manufacturer's disk
>> fitness tools. All the files that are readable contain correct data, but
>> the files that are corrupt are totally not readable, and cannot even be
>> removed manually:
>
> Given that, I would try to make a dump(8) of it.   If dump dies on
> a particular file, try to exclude that file from the dump either by
> rm-ing it or setting a nodump flag and try again.   You may not
> actually be able to do the rm or nodump flag though if you cannot
> mount it with write permission.   You might be able to force it
> mounted without doing the fsck in single user.
>
> Note that tar allows you to specify exclusions.   I usually don't
> suggest using tar for mass moves because it has weaknesses with
> hard links and might also not transfer flags and permissions
> correctly.  But, if tar is what it takes, then use it.

Force-mounting the filesystem works just fine. It's when I try to modify
any munged file that it panics the box, with ufs_dirbad or somesuch.

I have been using rsync to recover readable data, which handles
hard-links, permissions, sparse files, and et cetera. I figure it's
best, as that's what is used to drop the differential backups onto the
box in the first place.

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo