Terabyte harddisks, GELI, AMD64, Samba and Zen...

Solon Luigi Lutz solon at pyro.de
Mon Apr 16 21:28:52 UTC 2007

Hi again,

after some troubleshooting and some hours of memory tests, it
finaly seems to be a hardware problem...
The machine is based on an ASUS M2N4-SLI (Nforce4) and since the
heat-sink on the north/southbridge is rather small and passive,
the chip seems to get too hot. I manufactured a massive one from
a IGBT heat-sink and since 20 hours the machine is doing ftp-transfers
without any reboots - I keep my fingers crossed...

BTW a "fsck_ufs -y -f /dev/da0.eli" without sofupdates on this 10 TB
volume takes only 3 hours to complete.

Thanks for your help.

Solon

P.S. Does anybody know a way to do some performance-tuning on GELI?